Josh Beardsley
I
remember several instances where my family has asked me to do something that wasn’t
honoring to God. Or times when God was
telling me to go on a mission trip or even give money away to someone who
needed it and my parents would say “no you need to put yourself first and save
your money” or “Work has to come first and you don’t need to be taking off of
work to go on that trip”. It was so difficult to try and explain that my
priorities put God at the top of my list, nothing and no one came before Him.
It was difficult because they are my family and my parents. Even though it
would cause strain with my family, I knew in my heart that putting God first
was the right thing to do.
Read Luke 14:25-33
What?!?
Wait a minute- the Bible says we are called to love and not hate! Well let’s
unpack the meaning of what Jesus is saying here… Jesus clearly did not intend
for his disciples to have hatred or even indifference towards the people
closest to them. Rather, he was underscoring the highest and first of the Ten
Commandments establishing the priority of God in your life. Jesus tells us to first and foremost LOVE
YOUR GOD. What Jesus is saying here in Luke 14:25-33 is that to hate one’s
father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters means to
love Christ so much that all other human relationships pale in comparison.
It means we should love God so much that in comparison, it looks like we hate
everything else. It is an issue of setting priorities, placing God first above
everything (and everyone) else – so that when situations arise where there
needs to be a choice between doing what God wants and doing anything else,
there is no question that I will obey and honor God no matter what the
cost. It might look like I am hating my
family, but I would rather do that than appear like I am hating the God who has
created me and has saved me.
I’ll
leave you with a question today. Like when God asked Abraham to sacrifice his
son, are you truly willing to give up everything and anything to
take up your cross and Follow God? To put Him first no matter what the
cost? Because when we do put God first,
the reward is more than what we can comprehend.
No comments:
Post a Comment