“Lately I have been struggling with God’s calling on my life. I am about to graduate college, yet I don’t have specific goals or plans. I feel like I have no direction at times, and I feel like a complete loser for not having certain goals. I am so tired of being asked ‘what are your plans after you graduate?’ because responding with an ‘I don’t know’ guarantees a surprised look that silently screams ‘you better figure that out soon!’ I have no idea how I’ve made it this far and still don’t know where I’m going.”
I wrote these words not long
ago on February 24th. Saying that I have always struggled with God’s
calling on my life is an understatement. I never felt as if I could find that
certain “thing” that I just knew I was supposed to do for my life or what my
purpose was. Constantly I would plea with God to simply guide me towards what
my calling was. Looking back, I think I missed out on a lot of opportunities
that God was calling me to in the moment. My prayers and pleas with God were
all set on the future instead of the present.
Often times, it seems as if
we dwell too heavily on what the future calling of our life is. In doing this,
we miss out on what God’s calling is for us everyday. I know I am the worst at
this, and God has been revealing to me what it looks like to listen to what He
is calling me to do today rather than
what He is calling me to do tomorrow. By
listening and following God’s voice in the present, we position ourselves to
listen to His calling for us in the future.
Read Matthew 5:13-16 & Psalm 16:11
Even though these two
passages seem different, they tie together perfectly the concept of our calling
as a follower of Christ. Jesus states that we are the salt and the light of the
world. I don’t know about you, but I think I over complicate things. Jesus
makes it very simple and lays out what it looks like to live boldly for Him.
Instead of focusing on bringing glory to God in my daily life, I have allowed
myself to become frustrated because I don’t know exactly what I am supposed to
be doing for Him later in my life. What a waste! Never underestimate what God is calling you to do, what to say, who
to love, even in the smallest of ways. I love how Psalms 16:11 puts it, “He reveals the path of life to me.” When
we align ourselves every single day with what God is calling us to do, He will
reveal what we are to do next and where to go.
Are you struggling with your
calling? Don’t. Listen to what God is calling you to do today, and He will
guide you for tomorrow.
To follow
up my journal entry- God opened a door one week before I graduated and I
accepted an awesome job that was out of the blue. God is ALWAYS in control. J
No comments:
Post a Comment